Leader in full service natural stone company. We have our own quarries and factories.
3.- Regulatory and normative aspects
This chapter deals with the regulatory and normative aspects applicable to Bernardos slate as a construction material, that is:
- The European regulation on construction products
- Standardised European norms by the European Committee for Standardization (CEN)
REGULATION (EU) No 305/2011 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 9 March 2011, laying down harmonised conditions for the marketing of construction products. Amended by the Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) No 574/2014 of 2014.
This document establishes the mandatory requirements with which manufacturers must comply in order to place slate on the EU market. These are as follows:
- DECLARATION OF PERFORMANCE
- CE MARKING
- FACTORY PRODUCTION CONTROL (FPC)
All the previous documents must be complemented with an effective system of Factory Production Control (FPC) in order to provide statistical proof of their content.
Standardised European Norms.
The basic requirements for construction works state that the products brought therein must possess certain characteristics known as essential characteristics, defined by harmonised norms.
Therefore, in order to comply with all the terms of the harmonised norms, the construction works using Bernardos slate must respect SEVEN basic requirements, as defined in Annex I of the Regulation (EU) 305/2011. These requirements are as follows:
1. Mechanical resistance and stability.
2. Safety in case of fire.
3. Hygiene, health and the environment.
4. Safety and accessibility in use.
5. Protection against noise.
6. Energy economy and heat retention.
7. Sustainable use of natural resources.
Among the “harmonised norms” established by the European committees on standardisation (ECS), the following are applicable to Bernardos slate with relation to the various construction uses for which it is placed upon the market:
- UNE EN 12326-1 and 2 Slate and stone for discontinuous roofing and external cladding.
- UNE EN 1469. Slabs for cladding.
- UNE EN 12057. Modular tiles.
- UNE EN 12058. Slabs for floors and stairs.
- UNE EN 1341. Slabs of natural stone for external paving.
- UNE EN 1342. Setts of natural stone for external paving.
- UNE EN 1343. Kerbs of natural stone for external paving.
- UNE EN 771-6. Specification for masonry units.
Picture II-9. Abondance Abbey. France